Specify string > 2000 chars

From: Christopher Walls <cwalls_at_integrationware.X.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:29:51 -0500

We've run into a problem with Oracle 7.3. It appears that the longest string one can have in an insert statement (or update) is 2000 characters. If I have a column defined as Long (analogous to a MS SQL Server Text datatype) which holds up to 2 Gig of character data, how do I put more than 2000 characters in it? We've tried concatenating the string but we end up with an error message saying "The result of a string concatenation is too long".

Example (Field2 is defined as Long):
INSERT INTO mytable (Field1, Field2) VALUES ('Record1', A String > 2000 characters)

It seems the error is being thrown by Oracle ("ORA-01704: string literal too long"), not the ODBC driver. I plan on testing with the Intersolv ODBC drivers but I don't think it's going to work (we're using an Oracle ODBC driver written by Microsoft, we never got the ODBC drivers written by Oracle to work).

This isn't a problem in either MS SQL Server 6.5 or Sybase SQL Server System 11.

Any help would be appreciated.

--

Christopher Walls
IntraBlocks, a division of IntegrationWare, Inc. e:Folders -- Knowledge is Power, Use it! www.intrablocks.com