Re: Interview questions for an Oracle DBA?

From: Barry L. Wallis <Barry.L.Wallis_at_cpmx.saic.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:00:49 -0700

The number one question I ask prospective employees is, "Describe the database problem that you have found the most challenging." I insist that they give me a situation that actually happened and how they actually resolved it.

Assumption: The position calls for someone who is experienced rather than someone new to the workforce.

The worst possible response, "I have never found a database problem that was difficult." This indicates they have not had much experience.

The second worst possible response is one that talks in vague generalities. I believe that past performance is the primary indicator of future performance and I encourage the people I am interviewing to relate real accomplishments rather than the standard, "Here's how I would solve that problem."