Re: database in memory

From: Art S. Kagel <kagel_at_bloomberg.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:28:55 -0400

MotoX wrote:

> Sounds rather 'marketing-led' to me. I'd love to challenge them on 10 times
> the performance of Oracle with a small db and a large SGA.

Obviously I am qouting their RA-RA stuff. They SAY that their tests were performed against Oracle, Informix and other RDBMSs after the entire database had been coerced into the engine's buffer cache. I'm not promoting the product or selling it. However, I had been looking through their sales literature and web site and looked over their benchmark report and it seemed to me to be something that Aaron should at least look at.

They claim to use algorithms and indexing structures that would be horrendously inefficent for a disk-based database server but that are optimal for a memory based server. FWIW!