Re: Interview questions for an Oracle DBA?

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:31:18 +0100

Advice - don't have specific questions. Start *conversations* that cover the major areas: backup/recovery, tuning, installation & configuration. Drill down in detail as you go, but keep it conversational. That way you'll be flexible and can keep things on track as regards what *you* are looking for, and you also get a good feel for what people have actually done and what they *really* know. You'll also get a good idea of their personality - which I think is just as important as technical skill.

I've been interviewing I.T. staff for more than 10 years, and I find the worse thing you can have is a 'stock' list of questions. They really don't tell you much at all. Sure, push specific questions into the interview as a 'reality check', but don't just sit their and rattle through a list.

The most important thing is the person doing the interview. They must know Oracle extremely well themselves, know how to interview, and be impartial. A person like that will always catch out the poor candidates early.

Just my take.

MotoX.

<01bdc0dd$b2866720$a388d2cc_at_twdassanayr.stny.lrun.com>...