Re: Large DB on NT?

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra <leandro_at_lge.com.br>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 17:12:51 -0300

gplagge_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> We are implementing an Oracle 8.0.4.1.3 database on NT 4.0. Our calculations
> show it will exceed 100GB in size within six months.
>
> Has anyone worked with a database this size, or bigger, on NT 4.0?
> Anything special to watch out for? Any special tuning tips?

        I've had reliability problems with much smaller db's in MS SQL Server and Access under NT. In MS SQL Server, I lost a database one month ago without no apparent cause.

        As people report that Oracle on NT is still no as mature as the Unix version, I would recommend against it, even if I had no direct experience with it. It's just that NT 5 isn't there yet, and it is still to be seen if it will be as stable as NT 4 SP3 -- which is no wonder.

        Just my 2¢.

--
Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra

http://www.lge.com.br./ 			leandro@lge.com.br
http://www.terravista.pt./Enseada/1989/		BRASIL
 _
< > Campanha da fita ASCII - contra correio HTML & vcards  X ASCII ribbon campaign - against HTML email & vcards / \ Received on Wed Aug 05 1998 - 15:12:51 CDT