Hardware recommendations sought

From: Alexander Bisset <a-bisset_at_aberdeen-harbour.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:00:32 +0100

We are looking to replace our existing test environment Oracle server v7.3.2.3, which currently runs on a dual pentium P166 Novell 4.11 Server, total storage is approx 10Gb which is more than adequate for our current and next couple of years needs.

I would like to switch to Oracle 8 and also to a better supported platform (ie:Unix or NT) I hear that the NT option is good if I want a DBMS that runs like wading uphill through thick treacle on a cold winters morning. So that suggests Unix an operating system of which I have no experience.

We have a budget of approx 30-40,000 pounds sterling, for the hardware and an extra few tens of thousands on software/installation/configuration. I am looking for suggestions as to which hardware platform runs Oracle well at this price range. And whilst I am aware that this may deluge me with junk mail offers I am ideally looking for a company with expertise in dealing with such a conversion, provision of hardware (preferably tailored to our needs rather than off the shelf), installation and data migration.

To date all I have had is offers from vendors of specific hardware and as such I find it very difficult with my lack of knowledge of the Oracle on Unix environment to judge if we are being offered value for money.

Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Aug 05 1998 - 12:00:32 CDT