Should I use LOBs here? HOW???

From: a <a_at_x.y>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:25:25 +1000

Hi,

We have a reasonably simple requirement - to store a couple of pages of text per row in a table. Up til now we used VARCHAR2(4000) columns, but this is no longer sufficient.

To store more, it seems I would have to use LONG or CLOB. Oracle doco says that, in V8, LONGs are provided purely for backward compatibility, and we should use LOBs instead. However, when I tried using CLOBs in our webserver app, I'm having all sorts of troubles with using the datatype in webserver procedures, and normal functions (eg UPPER).

So, should I persevere with LOBs? Am I merely doing it wrong? Or should I use LONGs anyway? Or, should I pursue a different method - eg splitting the text into multiple VARCHAR chunks for storage and gluing them back together for retrieval?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanx

-ak Received on Wed Aug 05 1998 - 03:25:25 CDT