Re: Max # of columns in ORACLE 8 and 7?

From: <manoj67_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:06:48 GMT

Yes, there are limits to number of columns a table can have.

Max number of columns in Oracle7 per table = 254. Max number of columns in Oracle8 per table = 1000.

My two cents on tables with high number of columns.

If you have more columns in a table then the obvious resultant is bigger row lengths. These are known to cause row chaining. It can be reduced a little by increasing the DB_BLOCK_SIZE. So, I would say try to normalize your tables to a certain extent but too much of normalization is also not good as this results in multi-table joins which are know for bad query performance.

Hope this helps,

Manoj Jain
Oracle Certified Professional - DBA
Chauncey Certified Oracle DBA