Re: SQL Optimisation , FROM Clause table order, Where clause etc

From: <iolo_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:59:18 GMT

In article <6q76ql$fii$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   jtesta_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> MY first question would be have you tried it?????. there is nothing like
> experimentation to find out something.
>
> joe
> http://www.oracle-dba.com

Only if nobody else had tried it or written a paper on it or ...

It's not what you know - but where to find the information - and asking in a newsgroup sometimes yields results faster.

But judging from your webpage you'd have probably given him a more constructive answer had he hired you support company :-)

Regards

> In article <6q6c62$kf4$1_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>,
> "Rodger Talevski" <Talevski.Rodger_at_cabs.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm trying to find out if the order of the tables listed in the from clause
> > will affect performance when querying from more than one table. Also should
> > the Where clause start with expressions from larger tables etc.
> >
> > EG TABLE A 10000 Rows TABLE B 5000 rows TABLE C 100 rows
> >
> > SELECT A.COL1, B.COL etc etc
> > FROM A, B,C
> > WHERE A.COL1 = B.COL1 AND
> > A.COL2 = B.COL2 AND
> > B.COL4 = C.COL3
> >
> > I want to know if
> > 1. the FROM clause table order will affect performance and
> > 2. the where clause works in a similar fashion

Oliver Willandsen - European Commission http://europa.eu.int
All remarks are my own and do not necessarily reflect official European Commission policy