Re: Default Userid SCOTT? - REPOST

From: Robin Bishop <rmb8_at_bton.ac.uk>
Date: 4 Aug 1998 08:57:07 GMT

Jeff Bangle <JBangle_at_erols.com> wrote:
> 1. Is the SCOTT userid really a default account when Oracle is
> installed?

Yes. If you choose to install the starter database, Oracle creates a little personnel-type schema owned by SCOTT. He has the roles CONNECT and RESOURCE by default, which allows him to mess around creating tables and indexes, selecting, updating, deleting etc for training purposes.

> 2. If so, are there any security problems with using it?
I don't think so. Remember Oracle keeps the schemas for different users separate. Presuming your data is in it's own schema (or even in it's own instance), SCOTT will not have any access to them unless specifically granted by the DBA or the schema owner.

> 3. If SCOTT is really a default, are there any other default userids?
Only the system accounts SYS, SYSTEM and INTERNAL. Also DBSNMP on my database (7.3.2.2. Workgroup Server). You might want to make sure that your DBA has changed the default passwords on these accounts if they are new to the game. They present a bigger security risk than SCOTT.

Robin Received on Tue Aug 04 1998 - 03:57:07 CDT