Default Userid SCOTT? - REPOST

From: Jeff Bangle <JBangle_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:29:11 -0400

I was reviewing the audit logs the other day and noticed activity by the userid SCOTT. There is no authorized user named SCOTT on our network. I asked the Oracle DBAs about this, and they said that they needed a userid to run some routine administrative tasks. They added that the SCOTT userid exists by default when Oracle is installed, so they used it to run the admin tasks. We are running Oracle 7.31

My questions are:

  1. Is the SCOTT userid really a default account when Oracle is installed?
  2. If so, are there any security problems with using it?
  3. If SCOTT is really a default, are there any other default userids?