Re: NT: Oracle 7.3.4 vs. Oracle 8.04

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_mersey.com.hk>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 11:58:16 +0800

Well all the Oracle GUI tools can be run from a remote workstation, its not a MUST that they run on the server. Also same goes fro the User Admin Tool you mention this can (and usually IS) run from an workstation rather than directly on the server. Again same goes for task manager, most of the things you usually would look at can be got via the performance monitor on a remote workstation.

The Disk Manager is the only one that MUST be run on the server but then again its very very rare that you need to touch this tool.

We have had problems with the listener going dead occassionaly (3 times in the last 18 months, had same problem on Oracle for Netware but a lot more frequent, like once a week) but in EVERY case we were able to stop and start the listener service without touching anything else and things were ok again. If the listener is not responding to the control function then youve got some serious problem somewhere. If it was me I would do a reinstall BUT as you mention that Oracle gave you a patch and thats fixed the problem then looks like your OK on this.

For info we are using 73352 so I am not in a position to really advise you about 804.

Rob

Allan Nelson wrote in message <35C4B24B.7BED3E8E_at_austin360.com>...
>nasof_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> In article <35C2C31F.B580781B_at_austin360.com>,
>> Allan Nelson <nels212_at_austin360.com> wrote:

>> > Oh, about as stable as any other high demand application on NT. I
run
>> > about three large instances on several servers all at 4.0 with SP3. I
>> > guess I lose about 1 instance a week due to things like the listner
>> > branching and linking with free space, lockup of the GUI and
consequent
>> > need to reboot the server.
>> > NT is an evolving environment and Oracle 8 is fairly new, so some of
this I
>> > guess is inevitable. I sure wish however, that this project was on
UNIX
>> > though. I have instances over there that I haven't had to shut down
for
>> > over a year. I should mention thought that I have a lot of UNIX
experience
>> > and compartively little NT experience.
>> >

>> What is "listener branching and linking with free space"?
>>
>> Also what GUI locks up and where are you running it? IF you are running
GUI
>> apps on your NT Database server, I ask you this: Would you sit down and
run
>> all kinds of GUI apps directly on the "console" of your unix box?
>>
>> Just curious,
>> Frank

>> http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum
>
> The listener refuses to accept connections and can't be killed. The
loggin
>facilities don't show any connection activities. When observed in taskmgr
it is
>getting a lot of CPU activity. As for what I'm doing on the console,
I'm
>running the very necessary GUI's to administer the system and to find out
what
>is going on with them.
>
>As for running on the UNIX console, if it was a workstation, yes certainly,
>where else should I run GUI apps?
>In the case of a server, I usually configure those with ascii terminals
but
>yes, I run whatever I need to run from the console. Mostly admin commands.
The