Re: Simple backup questions

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 13:20:51 -0500

I have been researching this question. This my current understanding.

When should you restore the redo log files from a backup?

So the answer to my original question is:

     Only restore the redo logs when you must repeat a point-in-time recovery
     within the scope of the original un-archived redo logs. This restore must be
     from a backup of the redo log files just prior to the previous OPEN RESETLOGS.

Since any other restore of the redo log files may actually cause loss of data, it is dangerous to routinely backup the redo log files.