Re: One datafile?

From: Richard Woods <rawoods_at_concentric.net>
Date: 01 Aug 1998 09:54:25 EDT

"Apparently on a standalone set up this has yielded performace benefits. The logic being that one big datafile means less work for I/O than 2. I personally doubt that would be much of a difference."

This statement is absolute hogwash. The best way to address I/O contention is to relocate resource-competing tables, indexes, datafiles, etc., to different drives, controllers, etc. And, with most major operating systems (including NT) supporting Async I/O, more drives means better performance. Period.