Re: Problem creating database on Solaris 2.51

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 08:06:41 GMT

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 06:29:17 -0700, "Dan DiNardo" <NOSPAMddinardo_at_fremontcomp.com> wrote:

>When running the orainst executable from the Oracle Server 8.0.3 for Solaris
>2.51,
>I am getting the following message attempting to do a barebones install on a
>Sparc20 w/64MB at the tail end of the /oracle/orainst/install.log file:
>
> - ERROR: The 'CREATE DATABASE' statement for the ORCL database failed.
> egrep failed to find 'ORA-' error in the file:
>/oracle/admin/ORCL/create/crdbORCL.lst
>
>the /oracle/admin/ORCL/create/crdbORCL.lst file indicates:
>
> Connected.
> ORA-07331: smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion of the SGA.
> Additional information: 4
> create database "ORCL"
> *
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> Disconnected.
>
>the /oracle/dbs/initORCL.ora is attached.
>
>Can somebody explain the problem?

It sounds like either you do not have enough real/virtual memory on the machine (to allocate enough memory that you have specified in the your parameter file). I doubt this is the case, though. I imagine the real problem is that you haven't adjusted the kernel parameters required by the Oracle server. I don't know these off the top of my head, but they should be listed in the platform-specific installation notes or installation guide for Oracle for Solaris.

Good luck.

>Dan DiNardo
>Fremont Compensation Insurance Group

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat Aug 01 1998 - 03:06:41 CDT