"Oracle Lock Won't Go Away : ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified

From: <matthew.deal_at_cox.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:14:39 GMT

Hi: I've got a scenario where a UNIX script acquired a DML lock on a table. This was evident by performing query "select v$session". The script was terminated prematurely, but the lock still exists on the table. No INSERTs or DROP of table is allowed or the message "ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified" is presented. A simple SELECT works ok. I performed an "alter system kill session '22,33'" in an attempt to remove the lock. The status of the lock changed to "killed", but the lock still exists.  The method of "alter system ..." had worked previously for other locks resulting from the initial lock. If I can't commit or rollback, and I can't drop the table, how do I remove the lock? Stopping and starting the db did nothing to the lock.