multithreaded external procedure setup

From: Lutz Magnus Feldhege <lmf_at_de.uu.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:30:37 +0200

Hi,

we are using Oracle 8.0.3 on NT. We want to use external procedure to do some complex arithmetic. For a test we took an example and implemented a simple greater function based on two binary_integer's (plus all pragmas R/WNDS and R/WNPS). Then we created a table with a primary key integer field including values from 1 until 50000. The following query takes approx. 20 seconds until it returns the result:

select * from testtable where testpkg.greater(id, 25000) > 0;

Doing the following takes not even a second:

select * from testtable where id > 25000;

We found in the documentation that it is possible to use external functions also multithreaded, by setting ORA_EXTPROC_THREADED to TRUE. But we do not see any different behavior.

Does anyone can give us a hint, what we are missing here.

Thanks
Lutz Received on Fri Jul 31 1998 - 11:30:37 CDT