Oracle performance - VSS vs. SSA

From: Chris Cummings <chris_at_dsworks.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:32:30 -0500

I have a client who is considering buying IBM's Versatile Storage Solution (VSS). VSS is based on Raid 5. The alternative is IBM's Serial Storage Architecture (SSA) using mirroring for high availability. Has anyone out there migrated a major Oracle OLTP system to VSS? If so was any change in performance detected? If anyone has conducted VSS performance testing, is there an I/O breakpoint at which performance begins to seriously degrade? Thanks in advance for any insight that you can give me.

--
Chris Cummings
Dallas Softworks, Inc.

chris_at_dsworks.com       (214) 350-6085 Voice  2351 W. Northwest Hwy.
http://www.dsworks.com  (214) 769-4317 Cell   Suite 2215
                        (214) 351-2139 Fax    Dallas, TX 75220