Re: Triggering external applications - Oracle 8 / Solaris 2.6

From: Ky Nguyen <knguyen_at_ab.bluecross.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:46:06 -0600

Russell Fray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could somebody tell me how I can write a table trigger which invokes a
> procedure and/or then is also able to call an external application?
>
> I am running Oracle 8.0.4.0.0 under Solaris 2.6 and need to be able to
> run an external C program, which is passed variables from a procedure,
> which is triggered using a trigger on a table.
>
> Please CC replies to 'russ_at_u-net.net' if possible.
>
> It would be very good if somebody could just point me to an
> appropriate URL which explains the above!
>
> Thanks very much in anticipation.
>
> Best Regards,
> Russell.

I have asked many people the same question and did not get any good answer.
What I ended up doing is:

Method A: Use a file as my pipe

    a1. create trigger to append new entry (it can well be your variables) to a file using utl_file package

    a2. On the external application, I read that file and do some real work.

Method B: Convert my external appl to pl/sql Let not go there! Received on Thu Jul 30 1998 - 12:46:06 CDT