Re: How to shrink a table?

From: Oracleguru <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:04:20 GMT

Rather than adding another file you can resize the datafile. here is the way to do it:

alter database datafile '/r1/xyz/abc.dbf' resize 500M;

Regards !!!

Alfons Riesebeek <A.Riesebeek_at_wxs.nl> wrote in article <6pp4gl$mje$1_at_hdxf08.telecom.ptt.nl>...
> You can do and export and import from that table.
> The table will than be created in one initial extent.
>
> I have seen OLTP databases shrink that way over 40 %.
>
> Take care that the intial extent isn't larger then:
> Select max(bytes) from dba_free_space where
tablespace_name='<tablepsace_name>';

> If this is the case you must edit the export file.
>
> Regards
> Alfons
>
> "David Rueter" <drueter_at_assyst.com> schrijfbewerkingen: > I have an
Oracle 7 tablespace that is nearly full.