Re: NLS_DATE_FORMAT on NT client

From: BH <bhom_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:13:18 -0700

You can set it for session:

    alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = <value>

or

to change it permanently on the client:

  1. The NLS_DATE_FORMAT parameter needs to be added to database initialization file (for example, initorcl.ora for default instance ORCL):

       NLS_DATE_FORMAT="MM/DD/YYYY" -- or whatever date format you need

2) Also, this parameter needs to be changed from the registry:

        Value Name = NLS_DATE_FORMAT
        Data Type = REG_EXPAND_SZ or REG_SZ
        String = MM/DD/YYYY (or whatever date format that you need -- no
                             quotes are necessary)

3) To change NLS_DATE_FORMAT for a 16-bit application on the server, the value must be entered in the server's ORACLE.INI:

       NLS_DATE_FORMAT=MM/DD/YYYY 4) You must then stop the database and services, and restart.

5) NLS_DATE_FORMAT needs to be set on any client which has NLS_LANG set (for example, all Windows, Windows NT, Windows 95, and OS/2 clients), because there is a default NLS_DATE_FORMAT implied for any NLS_LANG.

For 16-bit client applications on Windows, Windows NT, and Windows 95, the parameter needs to be set in ORACLE.INI. For 32-bit applications on Windows 95, the parameter needs to be set in the registry:

        Value Name = NLS_DATE_FORMAT
              Data = MM/DD/YYYY (or whatever date format that you need -- no
                             quotes are necessary)

For 32-bit applications on Windows NT clients, the parameter is set as in step 2, above.