Re: Help: Change Default Date Format NLS_DATE_FORMAT

From: <lyall_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:19:58 GMT

In article <01bdb9b3$7a806000$0d78828c_at_tuyen>,   "Tuyen Nguyen" <Tuyen.Nguyen_at_PinpointSolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have Oracle7.1.x.x installed on an NT3.51 machine.
> I added NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD-MON-RR' to the initorcl.ora and NT's
> registry.
> I restarted the computer and Oracle.
> When I inserted a record with date = '21-Jun-07' using SQL*plus, I got back
> 21-Jun-1907 instead of 21-Jun-2007.
>
> What did I do wrong? Does anyone know why?
>
> When I checked V$PARAMETER, I got nls_date_format = 'DD-MON-RR' .
> However, the ISDEFAULT = FALSE, does it should be True? If it is, then how
> do I change it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tuyen

Did you insert that row while logged on to the server or on the client side? BECAUSE... you have to change the parameter on all of the clients machines if they have oracle installed on their computers. NLS_DATE_FORMAT must go into the registry if on WIN32 machines or into the ORACLE.INI file in WIN3.1 or DOS machines. I don't know what happens on UNIX or other platforms. If you inserted while logged onto the server. If these don't help then...I don't know what to say. We have MM/DD/RRRR as our NLS_DATE_FORMAT and that works fine. We've tried with just two R's and that worked too but we just wanted to make sure ;)

HTH
Lyall