Re: Oracle Web Application Server

From: <bons001_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:58:10 GMT

Hi Rus

> What is the best way to authenticate multiple users using Application
> Server?
>
> At the moment I have a web listener which asks for a username and
> password before access is granted. This username and password is
> stored within the web listener itself, which obviously is not suitable
> when a large number of users need to be added and maintained.
>
> Is there a way of popping up a standard HTP authentication box, and
> then feeding this username and password to a pl/sql procedure which
> can then run a check against a table?

The best way to accomplish the above task is debatable, the way I tackle the above is as follows:

  1. Normal web Form which prompts for username and password.
  2. Lookup username and password in password table and verify.
  3. Set a cooky with the users ID.

If you are security conscious you may which to do encryption, in the end it basically all amount to the same.

Adios