Re: A Question about Installing Oracle for Clinet?

From: Al <al_at_work>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:29:18 -0400

For the 32-bit Client software you can move the entire C:/ORAWIN95 directory to a LAN drive. Remove the SQL*Plus executable from the /BIN directory. Use the Registry Export function to export the settings in HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE. To install the software on a client machine:

  1. Map a Network drive to the ORAWIN95.
  2. Run the .REG file that contains the exported registry settings.
  3. Include the ORAWIN95/BIN directory in the PATH

Note that preventing your users from accessing the database outside of your application is a non-trivial task. The best solution is to use role-based security, and have your application issue a "SET ROLE" command in order to activate the permissions.