Re: Help me with my log

From: <iolo_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:43:13 GMT

In article <35bdbe65.2036533_at_news.singnet.com.sg>,   dennygoh_at_mbox5.singnet.com.sg (Daniel) wrote:
> I have a client server application (VB5/Oracle8.03) I need to
> maintain a log file (text file) containing data items of part of my
> table's record whenever a new record is created. Each of this record
> should be appended to my log file named as part of the system date.
> Thus the next day... a new log file created named as the system date
> (to keep track of the specific daily transaction ) .. and so on...
>
> Hope some guru out there can please tell me if this is possible on my
> Unix server and how to go about it....

You could create a database trigger like the following :

drop trigger check_for_delete;
create trigger check_for_delete
before delete on your_table
for each row
begin

    insert into your_logtable(userid, deldate, your_data)

        values(user, sysdate, :old.your_column1_dtat || ' ' ||
        :old.your_column2_data || ' DELETE');
end;

Then you can use a cron and start an sqlplus script which will extract the data in your logfile to an ASCII file.

Hope this gets you started

--
Oliver Willandsen
European Commission