Re: ORA-12500 Error

From: <rtgraf_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:48:11 GMT

In article <35BBD8AD.E0654810_at_nightmare.com>,   Bennett Leve <bleve_at_nightmare.com> wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> It is my understanding that if you get this error your connection to
> the listener has already been made and a system call has been made to
> fork a shadow process. The ORA-12500 is generated when that forked
> process dies off for any reason.
>
> I missed the thread the other day as well and I am not 100% sure about
> how processes behave on NT boxes but on a UNIX box you would see this if
> you have hit a limit on number of process, out of memory or have no
> socket
> resources left. I would think that your sqlnet is set up properly but
> have
> some other type of system problem. Still not sure how this translates
> NT though.
>
> -Bennett
>
> Sebastian wrote:
> >
> > Hey all -
> >
> > I see from dejanews this was discussed several days ago, but I can't seem to
> > find the resolution to the problem. My variant on the problem is:
> >
> > I've just installed Oracle 8.0.0.3 (I think that's the one) on an NT 4.0
> > (SP3) Server.
> >
> > Using the Oracle Net8 Easy Config application ("Discover Service Name
> > Wizard"), I enter in the hostname, network protocol, and all that.
> > Username, password, etc. I proceed to the "Test Connection" step. And I
> > get the dreaded error:
> >
> > The test did not succeed.
> > ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
> >
> > This happens if I run Oracle Net8 Easy Config on the NT Workstation, or if I
> > try it right on the NT Server. I heard some mention earlier about perhaps
> > an invalid listener.ora file - but shouldn't this Oracle Net8 Easy Config be
> > configuring the file properly for me? Isn't that the point? So what am I
> > missing? All the Oracle services are installed and running, on both client
> > and server.
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> >
> > -Sebastian Frey

Sebastian & Bennet,

check out the following:

Match the SID_NAME in your LISTENER.ORA with the SID of the instance running on your NT box.
You can find out the SID by consulting the control panel, there you should find a service called OracleService<SID> (replace <SID> with your SID).
The listener tries to start a server process for the SID given as SID_NAME in the listener.ora file.
If there is no such SID on your machine, the listener bails out with TNS-12500.
Net8 Easy Config will *not* generate your listener.ora file, use Net8 Assistant instead.

Hope this helps, bye
--
Robert Graf-Waczenski e-mail: rtgraf_at_sintec.de Visit our web site! http://www.sintec.de