Re: Multiple Extents in Data Dictionary table

From: Nevin and Cynthia Hahn <lllacey_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:21:19 -0600

Girish Jashnani wrote in message <6p6eqt$5ti_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>Hi
>

>Our Data Dictionary tables have many exents ( 10 -200 ). Is there any way i
>can drop and recreate the data dictionary tables in one extent.
>
>Thanking You in anticipation.

 Hi Girish Jashnani,

I had learned about and tried successfully to reduce the number of extents in my database. The method used though requires one to re-create the database. I learned from a presentation at my local user group of the SQL.BSQ file in the ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory. This file creates the data dictionary tables. Oracle does not recommend editing this file but if done with care it will reduce the number of extents. I would identify the overly extended tables and then export the database and get a backup. Then remove the database
and recreate it with the initial and next extents of the those tables identified edited to larger sizes in the SQL.BSQ file.

I hope this helps!!
Nevin Hahn
DBA, ICG Communications Received on Mon Jul 27 1998 - 23:21:19 CDT