ORA-12500 Error

From: Sebastian <sebfrey_at_advancedh2o.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:30:14 -0700

Hey all -

I see from dejanews this was discussed several days ago, but I can't seem to find the resolution to the problem. My variant on the problem is:

I've just installed Oracle 8.0.0.3 (I think that's the one) on an NT 4.0 (SP3) Server.

Using the Oracle Net8 Easy Config application ("Discover Service Name Wizard"), I enter in the hostname, network protocol, and all that. Username, password, etc. I proceed to the "Test Connection" step. And I get the dreaded error:

The test did not succeed.
ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

This happens if I run Oracle Net8 Easy Config on the NT Workstation, or if I try it right on the NT Server. I heard some mention earlier about perhaps an invalid listener.ora file - but shouldn't this Oracle Net8 Easy Config be configuring the file properly for me? Isn't that the point? So what am I missing? All the Oracle services are installed and running, on both client and server.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Sebastian Frey Received on Sun Jul 26 1998 - 18:30:14 CDT