ON DELETE CASCADE PROBLEM

From: Zafer Mutlu AKTAN <zafer_at_redshift.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:03:31 -0700

Hi,
I have 2 child tables with columns let's say TB1C1, TB1C2 (in the first table) and TB2C1, TB2C2 (second table) which are referencing to the same parent table's (let's say TBPARENT) primary key column with a foreing key constraint which ends with the "ON DELETE CASCADE" option. In other words if I delete a record from the parent table TBPARENT and if there are records referencing this one in TB1C1 , TB1C2, TB2C1 and/or TB2C2 , those will automatically be purged to keep the referential integrity intact. The problem is here: IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY (in 7.3.3). It deletes the records from TB1 but not from TB2. If I change the order of the child table creation then this reverses (TB2 works fine but not TB1 ?) . I wonder if there is a non-documented constraint for ON DELETE CONSTRAINT related with the number of it's use in a child table for the same parent table field. (The parent table contains the force_side_names and the child tables use this record as force_sideA_force_sideB relationship definitions). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zaf Received on Sat Jul 25 1998 - 14:03:31 CDT