Re: Upgrading from HPUX 10.20 to HPUX 11

From: Tony da Franca <dago_at_techie.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:48:50 GMT

Bill Despeaux wrote:

> I need to begin upgrading about 20 HP servers from HPUX 10.20 to HPUX 11.
> We have about 150 Oracle instances ranging from 7.1.4 to 8.0.4. I was
> hoping to find a release of the software that would run on both platforms,
> but it appears that the executables are OS release specific. Oracle support
> reccomended recreating each instance via import/export, but that isn't
> really an option since several are in the 50GB range.
>
> They also said it should be possible to: upgrade the OS, install the new
> executaqbles in a new $Oracle_home, copy the datafiles, create a new
> control file and open the database.
>
> What I would like to do is: upgrade OS, delete the old Oracle executables,
> install the new executables in the existing $Oracle_home, and the instance
> should start up ok and be able to access the files with no modifications.
>
> Has anybody tried this? Is there an easier way???
>
> TIA,
>
> Bill.

My only recent experience was of upgrading databases running on 7.3.3.0.0 and HP-UX 10.20
to 7.3.3.4.1 and HP-UX 11.00. I just upgraded the OS, kept the data files where they were,
installed the new Oracle executables in a new ORACLE_HOME. After changing all the environment
variables, everything started up with no problems.

I do not understand why you would want to delete the old executables; if you are that short
of disk space you are in trouble anyway. Also, why re-create a new control file?? The control
file is not usually re-created when you upgrade to a new version of Oracle.

--

Tony da Franca				Never let morality cloud your judgement!
dago@techie.com				http://website.lineone.net/~tdf