Upgrading from HPUX 10.20 to HPUX 11

From: Bill Despeaux <wjd_at_erols.com>
Date: 25 Jul 1998 12:47:32 GMT

I need to begin upgrading about 20 HP servers from HPUX 10.20 to HPUX 11. We have about 150 Oracle instances ranging from 7.1.4 to 8.0.4. I was hoping to find a release of the software that would run on both platforms, but it appears that the executables are OS release specific. Oracle support reccomended recreating each instance via import/export, but that isn't really an option since several are in the 50GB range.

They also said it should be possible to: upgrade the OS, install the new executaqbles in a new $Oracle_home, copy the datafiles, create a new control file and open the database.

What I would like to do is: upgrade OS, delete the old Oracle executables, install the new executables in the existing $Oracle_home, and the instance should start up ok and be able to access the files with no modifications.

Has anybody tried this? Is there an easier way???

TIA, Bill. Received on Sat Jul 25 1998 - 07:47:32 CDT