Re: About DBMS_ALERT package...

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 23 Jul 1998 17:22:18 GMT

I cannot remember which one is which, but, I believe you can get a dbms_alert without the doing a commit and you would not get a dbms_send until the user did a commit.

You might want to expound upon what you want to do upon receipt of the alert. You might be able to do everything in insert, delete, update triggers.

If you are trying to communicate with another system or flat file, put the information into an interface table, call dbms_pipes to send a message to wake up a deamon to pull the data from the interface table. We put one record into the table to keep from sending more than one dmbs_pipes message.

Valentina Amadori (amadori_at_sodalia.it) wrote:
: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
: --------------33227EB93D7AB64BF1C17178

: --------------90B7F6B837BB2860559CD555

: I am using the DBMS_ALERT package of Oracle 7.3 on HP_UX 10.20.

: I have some indesidered behaviours:

: 1. The alert signal is always late of one transaction. I am alerted

: on the last but one transaction, not on the last. Why? This is not

: a good behaviour for a useful use!

: 2. Often the alert (defined in a trigger FOR EACH ROW) loses some modificated records.

: The notifications, or "alerts", of database events are often partial, specially

: if there are transactions too frequently. Do you confirm?

: My process have to be alerted when any database events occurs. But I wont lose any modificated record!

: Do you know any mechanism. I am falling back to the triggers with a polling combination...

: Thanks,

: Vale

: --

: =================================

: --------------90B7F6B837BB2860559CD555

: <HTML>

: <PRE>I am using the DBMS_ALERT package of Oracle 7.3 on HP_UX 10.20.</PRE>

: <PRE>I have some indesidered behaviours:</PRE>

: <PRE>1. The alert signal is always late of one transaction. I am alerted</PRE>

: <PRE>&nbsp;&nbsp; on the last but one transaction, not on the last. Why? This is not</PRE>

: <PRE>&nbsp;&nbsp; a good behaviour for a useful use!</PRE>

: <PRE></PRE>

: <PRE>2. Often the alert (defined in a trigger FOR&nbsp;EACH ROW) loses some modificated records.</PRE>

: <PRE>&nbsp;&nbsp; The notifications, or "alerts", of database events are often partial, specially</PRE>

: <PRE>&nbsp;&nbsp; if there are transactions too frequently. Do you confirm?</PRE>

: <PRE></PRE>

: <PRE>My process have to be alerted when any database events occurs. But I wont lose any modificated record!</PRE>

: <PRE>Do you know any mechanism. I am falling back to the triggers with a polling combination...</PRE>

: <PRE></PRE>

: <PRE>Thanks,</PRE>

: <PRE>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Vale</PRE>

: <PRE>--&nbsp;
: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =================================</PRE>
: &nbsp;</HTML>

: --------------90B7F6B837BB2860559CD555--

: --------------33227EB93D7AB64BF1C17178

: begin: vcard
: fn: Amadori Valentina
: n: Valentina;Amadori
: org: Sodalia S.p.A
: adr;dom: via Valentina Zambra,1;;;Trento;Italia;38100;
: email;internet: amadori_at_sodalia.it
: title: Dep. DE/NAM
: tel;work: +39-461-316166
: tel;fax: +39-461-316401
: note: III piano - stampante adige
: x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
: x-mozilla-html: FALSE
: version: 2.1
: end: vcard

: --------------33227EB93D7AB64BF1C17178--

--
While DSC may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job), DSC does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when you opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use. Received on Thu Jul 23 1998 - 12:22:18 CDT