Temporary tables

From: Luis Cabral <cabral_at_merconet.com.br>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:15:08 -0300

Hi all,

I have to do very complex report that can not be made with Reports. In fact, I will use Forms to process the data and store it in a temporary table, sort it , re-process and re-sort it, accumulate cascaded totals and then call Reports only to print it. After all I will drop all data from the temporary table. This report is to be run many times a day, each time generating 500-5000 temporary rows, that will be inserted and deleted almost imediatelly.

Of course, I will put the temporary table in a separate tablespace, and size it accordingly.

This should be nice, but the database has Archiving Logs, and there is a preocupation about the growing size of them, especially because they will hold, in this case of the temporary table, lots of data that no meaning at all - because of its temporary aspect.

Anyone has worked with temporary tables and can give me some advice? Or should I use a other tool (like Powerbuilder or C++) that can hold and manipulate efficiently those 5000 lines in memory, thus not overcharging the database? (of course, I prefer to do it all with Oracle Tools)

Thank you

Luis Cabral
cabral_at_merconet.com.br Received on Wed Jul 22 1998 - 11:15:08 CDT