Re: Raw Device or File System

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:07:10 +0100

Depends on how good your LVM and UNIX skills are? And how good your backup software is?

I much prefer working with raw, but AIX (my UNIX platform) has a real nice LVM and we've got good backup software. Oracle doesn't need the filesystem or it's buffers, so why use them? The CPU and memory you waste with them are much better dedicated to the Oracle background processes and the SGA, IMHO. Only thing I stick on jfs is the archive logs.

We run large datawarehouses, and discussions with both Oracle and IBM led us to using raw - they both highly recommended them (as it does in the Oracle installation manuals).

In short, if you are happy with UNIX/raw devices, then go with it. If you are not confident, stick with filesystems.

NB. read the Oracle installation guide for your platform *before* you start, as you may have to size datafiles and define restore procedures such that you don't stomp over LVM control blocks, etc.

MotoX.