Slow response from Data Dictionary?

From: John Mara <john.mara_at_connects.com>
Date: 21 Jul 1998 20:56:04 GMT

We are running a rather large development server (7000 tables over 20 schemas) and have some pretty slow response times when accessing the DBA_ tables. This is somewhat understandable given the volume. Are there any tuning options to speed things up? I have heard that it is not a good idea to ANALYZE the Data Dictionary tables, that they are self maintaining.

We tried an export/import of the entire database to compress extents, and surprisingly found that our response times got worse? In particular, dropping any objects that have storage allocated has become extremely slow (minutes for a table with no data???).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Received on Tue Jul 21 1998 - 15:56:04 CDT