Re: Help about develop in character mode with Oracle 7.3 and Forms 3.0 and RPT

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:41:30 GMT

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:08:39 GMT, cestrela_at_my-dejanews.com <cestrela_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have Oracle 6.0, and we developed all our aplications on this database.
>
>Now, we would like updgrade to Oracle 7.3, and develop in character mode
>with Oracle Forms 3.0 and RPT.
>
>What is the right platform ? Solaris, AIX,....??

Those are both nice platforms. What sort of performance do you need?

These days, I think unless you have some stiff scalability requirements or commercial apps that only run on certain systems, it's almost a tossup between the various major unix vendors. They all have their idiosyncracies, and the popularity waxes and wanes over time. The raid stuff can be _very_ idiosyncratic.

If you are still on 6.0, one can guess you have a fairly stable application environment, so you don't need to worry about the top-end of any series. You should be able to just size a nice mid-range platform. Where are you now?

I thought I was the last dinosaur who appreciated character mode, but even I have to question staying with Forms 3.0 and Rpt, if you are going to a new platform. Do you have thousands of VT52's hanging around or something?

>I need your help,
>

>Thank you

jg
--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Tue Jul 21 1998 - 12:41:30 CDT