Simple backup questions

From: <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:08:22 GMT

Just two very simple backup questions,

  1. I've read several books talking about whether we should backup the online redo log files. Oracle Press book say yes but I remember some one post in this newsgroup earlier saying that we don't need to backup the online redo log files. Can some one verify that for me please?
  2. When I use the cold backup to recover the database to the point of failure
    (database in archivelog mode), I think that I only have to restore all the
    datafiles to its original location but definitely not the controlfiles? I think if you restore all the datafiles to its original location and leave the controlfiles as current. when we try to open the database, Oracle should discover that the header of the datafile and the controlfile is not in sync and should start the recovery process and ask for archive logs, right? (I hope I am right, but I am not sure any more!) What if the backup utility that we use force me to restore the controlfiles and replace those current controlfiles with those old controlfiles? If I still have all the archive logs from that cold backup onwards, can I force Oracle to start the recovery process even though the controlfiles(restored one) and the datafiles
    (restored one) are in sync already?

It's really urgent, please help me with that!

Winnie Liu