Re: RDB/Web Interfacing

From: James Arvigo <jamesa_at_thriftycall.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:32:54 -0500

Sarah,

I am using Server Side JavaScript to access our Oracle 8.0.4 database, and it works like a charm.
It took awhile to get it all setup properly but here's our configuration to make this possible:

SUN E-450, running Solaris 2.6 with:

  1. Oracle Server 8.0.4
  2. Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5.1 (Web Server) with JavaScript/LiveWire support enabled.

Clients:

Netscape 4.0.5 or IE 4.0

I studied all of the online tutorials and documents at Netscape's "developer.com" site regardin implement Server-Side applications with database connectivity for about a month or two while I tweaked our configuration, the JSAC compiler, and learned about how to do all this. Also I studied very closely the Ventana/Netscape Press book by Luke Duncan called: "Server-Side JavaScript for Database Applications" in order to have a really good tutorial/demo code to work with.

Now I've got the system up and running like a dream, we're generating company-wide intranet based front-ends to our new centralized Oracle server at the telephone company that I'm consulting to on this project.

So... it works... it just takes a little wangling and the right software to do it right. *Smile*

Hope that helps.

James Arvigo
DBA / Intranet Developer
Thrifty Call, Inc.