Free space coalescing

From: Kevin Berry <_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:36:16 +0100

I have an ORACLE 7.3.2.3.0 database running on a DEC Unix 3.2 server that is not coalescing adjacent free extents into a single larger extent.

The coalescing works when creating tables or when a table is extended, but the documentation I have suggests that the SMON background process also periodically coalesces adjacent free space. This does not seen to be happening. A couple of weeks ago I dropped one of the schemes in the db and have just taken a look at the free extents, there are over 4000 of them when there should be about half a dozen.

I've looked through the various manuals and init parameters and can't find anything to explain the above, so any help would be appreciated.

If possible can you please reply using email

Thanks

Kevin Received on Mon Jul 20 1998 - 09:36:16 CDT