Re: Oracle 8 on HP-UX

From: MMK Productions <nospammmkprod_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:11:15 -0400

We had ENORMOUS problems with RAID on a new HP box running 10.2. We were never sure if it was the RAID hw or 10.2 or what. We ended up ripping out the RAID hw and running in non-RAID. W/o RAID our perf increase 400%. I am sure this is an extreme case, but it certainly made me wary of RAID on HP boxes.

If you do not go RAID, I recommend you do the following:

1) duplex your redo log files
2) dupex your control files
3) setup in arch mode
4) do a cold backup at least once a month
5) do a hot backup proportional to your ap trans level

I have RAID on Oracle8 on NT and it seems fine. I am not anti-RAID, I just encountered a lot of problems with HP, 10.2 and RAID