Re: Microsoft claim to fame : The TeraServer on The Web

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1998/07/18

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:10:10 GMT, vslabs_at_my-dejanews.com <vslabs_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>"Tony Rogerson" <tonyrogerson_at_compuserve.com> wrote:
>> Hey - less of the micrsoft weenie, I was developing using DB2 9 years ago
>> and only in the last 6 have I got into SQL Server.
>
>And so you consider yourself an expert on telling me that SQL-Server is better
>than Oracle? Hey, not trying to start a flame war, I'm just lead piping away
>here. ;-)
>
>Bottom line is, I have yet to hear a reply from anyone here telling me that
>SQL-Server is a viable solution of a real terabyte data warehouse.

I must say, that terraserver demo is quite impressive. However, I found two bugs in my first 10 minutes, so I'm not really impressed for corp usage.

1 bug was that if you use the "find a spot on the earth" routine, and it can't find it, it can't find anything else until you re-enter the routine. That's like, beginning student level error. Really makes one wonder. They've fixed it since I pointed it out, although no ack of a problem.

>regards,
>Billy

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry   Remove nospam to reply.
mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com  "See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!