Re: Oracle over NFS

From: Hayden Worthington, Inc. <hayden_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:32:01 -0400

Richard,

> Can anybody tell me what pre-cautions I have to make to be sure that the
> following configuration runs well: Oracle 7.2 database running on a AIX
> system using a NFS file system from an other AIX system.

 NFS is not a recommended solution for configuring your Oracle  database and you'll also find that Oracle officially does NOT  "support" NFS.

  "Oracle7 For Unix / Performance Tuning Tips" says this:

  "NFS WARNING:
  Do not place any Oracle Database File in any kind of network file system.   The concurrency controls on network file systems are not safe when used   with data items smaller than a file. The Oracle Server manages data at the   block level, much smaller than a file. Even if you think only one system is   using the database, individual blocks can still be lost or arrive out of   order, corrupting your database."

 However, I would strongly encourage you to contact Oracle Support for the  latest "formal" advice on the use of NFS or AFS file systems. Especially,  if you're configuring a production box for business purposes.

 Good Luck,
 Allen

Hayden Worthington, Inc.       Oracle Performance Tuning
5696 Peachtree Parkway         http://hayden.home.mindspring.com

Atlanta, Georgia 30092         White Papers, Scripts, etc.