Re: Oracle 8 on HP-UX

From: Andy Johnson <andyj_at_mailhost.accesscom.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:30:58 -0500

It depends on the application, but personally, if is OLTP, I'd use the HP MirrorDisk-UX, which is software based RAID 0. The advantage is that for a 24x7 system, you can split and merge mirror sets on the fly, so you can put the tablespaces in backup, split the mirror, put the tablespace back online, then make your tapes from the mirror you split off. When the tapes are done, merge the mirror sets again. For extra security, if you are so inclined, you can have three-way mirrors, meaning that you can split off one set and still have an active RAID 0 set online. The other advantage to RAID 0 is the distribution of data files across many spindles (600 GB is at least 68 18 gig disks w/RAID 0) for better performance. While RAID 5 may mean fewer disks, tablespaces will be in backup longer while tapes are made, and you will take a performance hit on writes, because the parity has to be written to all the disks in a set for any block written. If it is a read-only database, a hardware RAID 1 or RAID 5 implementation would be the way to go, as read performance is better than RAID 0 in most cases. RAID 5 would give the added benefit of tolerating the loss of a disk and still allowing the database to remain up, provided the hardware supports hot swapping.

The short answer is we need to know more about the requirements and the application; there is no general best answer for every situation.

Andy Johnson