Re: Connecting to Personal Oracle

From: Kresimir Fabijanic <kresimir_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:58:33 +1000

Carlos

Yes you need a listener and SQL*Net running. You shuld have told us which version are you using. If you use Beq-local as protocol, you should not need TCP/IP or loopback to connect. If you really want 'real man's' connection, check if you (this is for 7.4.3.0 of presonal Oracle [btw I tried 8.0.4 - spend most of the time configuring it and wasting time - if you want Oracle8 wait for 8.0.5]) have a file lsnrctl23.exe in your 'c:\orawin95\bin' directory. It is the listener control executable.

Yes, I did have Designer / 2000 installed on my personal Oracle. It takes forever to install (especially repository). And if you want to reverese engineer database, do it overnight (for a relatively complex database (cca 200 tables, a lot of source code, 100 views etc) it took more than 4 hours on Pentium MMX 133 with 48Mb of RAM. But it is all part of a good fun.

Hope this helps. Take care

Kind regards

Kresimir Fabijanic