Re: Help needed on ORA-12547 TNS: lost contact

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:44:34 GMT

On 17 Jul 1998 19:16:43 GMT, Bill Wine <biwine_at_vassar.edu> wrote:
>I am upgrading to Oracle 7.3.2.3.2 on VMS Alpha 7.1 this weekend.
>
>When trying to start an instance, I get this error:
>-----------
>$ svrmgrl
>
>Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.2.0.2 - Production
>
>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994, 1995. All rights reserved.
>
>ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>SVRMGR>
>-----------

12547, 00000, "TNS:lost contact"

// *Cause: Partner has unexpectedly gone away, usually during process
// startup.
// *Action: Investigate partner application for abnormal termination. On an
// Interchange, this can happen if the machine is overloaded.
perhaps you have some sort of protection problem? Lack of quota? No TCP (or whatever) driver?

>When I try this:
>
>sqlplus user/pass
>
>I get the same error.
>
>When I try:
>
>sqlplus user/pass_at_sid
>
>I get this:
>
>SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.2.0.1 - Production on Fri Jul 17 15:09:26 1998
>
>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
>
>ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

01034, 00000, "ORACLE not available"

// *Cause: Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the following:
//         - The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.
//         - The operating-system variable pointing to the instance is
//           improperly defined.
// *Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct
//          the problem mentioned in the other messages.
//          If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems,
//          verify that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform
//          specific Oracle documentation.

>ORA-07692: ssmsget: $MGBLSC_64 failure

Perhaps you aren't able to get an SGA going? Maybe you need ORA_HOME to be a SYSTEM definition? SGAPAD way off (perhaps too big - there was something about a non-linearity above a certain size, can't recall the details and am not on VMS now). Old stuff taking up INSTALL list?

I'm guessing that ssmsget is a library call to establish the shared memory area using $MGBLSC_64, and the latter can't do it for whatever reason.

>I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
>
>Bill Wine
>biwine_at_vassar.edu

Hope this helps, even though it is just guessing. You have to have an instance running to use sqlplus, so those errors might be normal, you have to get svrmgrl running to start the instance. It might be worth it to check that your startup routines start oracle correctly, and reboot the machine to get rid of old stuff in the way.

jg
--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Fri Jul 17 1998 - 19:44:34 CDT