Re: Changing a database name ?

From: Bennett Leve <bleve_at_nightmare.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:13:58 -0400

Do you want to change the database name or the SID?

If it is the SID that you want to change simply shut the database down and copy the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initNEW_SID.ora
then change your environment variable "ORACLE_SID" to have the new SID name
and start the database.

If it is the db_name you wish to change then you will need to dump your control file out and recreate it. Let me know if this is what you want to do and I will send you some instructions.

-Bennett