Re: Stupid Newbie Questions

From: Stephen Kraus <skraus_at_cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:44:31 -0700

Winnie,

A instance does not equal a database. An instance is the collection of background processes plus the SGA. A database is the collection of operating system files holding your data. Multiple instances CAN mount a single database. This is the basic architecture of Oracle Parallel Server. Instance and database are often used interchangeably but they are not synonyms.

Steve