Re: Rowids are letters? I though they were numbers

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:19:35 GMT

You have oracle8 which has a new external rowid format -- they stuff lots more information in there then before. Its now base64 encoded, not base16.

You can still get the (relative) file number, block and slot via the dbms_rowid.rowid_info procedure (see the dbms_rowid package for more information)

A copy of this was sent to gbc_at_slip.net (Gene) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:51:52 -0700, you wrote:

> I have just created a DB, after a two year break from Oracle. Lot's of
>new things going on, eh? I set the block size to 16K. Created a table
>with the first extent at 200MB. And imported 3Mil rows.
>
> The rowid's for this table look like
>
>AAAAeEAAHAAADIIAAA
>AAAAeEAAHAAADIIAAB
>AAAAeEAAHAAADIIAAC
>AAAAeEAAHAAADIIAAD
>
>I thought they should look like
>
>00000DD5.0000.0001
>00000DD5.0001.0001
>00000DD5.0002.0001
>00000DD5.0003.0001
>
>I don't care how they loo. I Question: if rowid's should look like this,
>how do I tell the file, block and row?
>
>thanks - gene
>gbc_at_slip.net

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jul 17 1998 - 15:19:35 CDT