Why? Oracle 7.3 Server stalls Client

From: Stevyn Dembo <sdembo_at_soliton.bc.ca>
Date: 17 Jul 1998 06:35:05 GMT

Hello.
We are running oracle 7.3.3 on Windows NT3.51/P266/64MB memory/2 disks. We have written a tiny looping program in Delphi on a W95 client to see how many inserts per minute we can make into a single table (2 columns, primary key index, no relations, no triggers). The network is TCP/IP. We want to achieve the maximum insert rate that is achievable for a single client against the db. We have observed the following situation. The driving program runs at full speed for about 200 inserts and then stalls. There is a bunch of disk activity on server after the stall, and once the server disk activity has subsided, the driving program resumes and sends another approx. 200 inserts, stalls,server disk activity, on and on! We have monitored the network packets and have observed that no packets are being sent during the stall. Stalls are approximately .5 - 1 sec.

The BIG QUESTION is: What steps can we take to eliminate or minimize this stalling? Currently we can achieve an insert rate of about 4000-4600 inserts per minute. Without the stalls, we could almost double the rate.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have suggestions as to how to resolve this issue!!
Regards.
Stevyn Dembo
steve_dembo_at_bc.sympatico.ca Received on Fri Jul 17 1998 - 01:35:05 CDT