Re: EBU Online Backup with Compressed Archived Redo Logs

From: David Schweisguth <davids_at_tracy.pangeasystems.com>
Date: 16 Jul 1998 19:35:14 GMT

Rob Forster (forstr_at_tdbank.ca) wrote:
: We have an interesting problem. We have a script that automatically
: compresses archived redo logs as soon as they are written to
: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST. Because of this script, when EBU looks for
: LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT, it can't seem to backup the necessary logs that are
: needed as part of the backup cycle.

[...]
: BTW, we compress our redo logs beacuse they're rcp'd to a remote hot standby
: server, so we'd like to keep this feature, to cut down on transmission time.

How about compressing and uncompressing your redo logs on the fly?

compress -c yourfile | rsh standbyhost 'uncompress > yourfile'

Cheers,

--

Dave Schweisguth                              Work: davids_at_pangeasystems.com
Pangea Systems                                Home: dschweisguth_at_earthlink.net